What do New York Campus Compact VISTAs do?
Examples of VISTA Projects:
- Creation of a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to assist low-income families in tax preparation, with a financial literacy component implemented by leveraging student volunteers
- Expanding an after-school tutoring program to increase literacy rates of elementary school students by incorporating an S-L requirement into a childhood education course syllabi
- Developing a well-being program at assisted living centers, focusing on creation of a volunteer-based tenant advocacy board aimed at ensuring appropriate housing
- Enhancing a community garden project to increase access of low-income individuals and families to fresh, nutritious food and education.
- Establishing a new mentoring program for college students to help at-risk high school students to investigate and apply for college or other post-secondary opportunities
- Working with student groups to establish long-term partnerships with community-based organizations serving a targeted low-income population